Dobson Gaskets is one of the UK's leading manufacturers of bespoke gaskets for the classic car sector. We were approached by Land Rover to manufacture a new cylinder head gasket for a vintage Land Rover model.
Over the years, we’ve manufactured vintage car gaskets for individuals, car clubs and vehicle component suppliers, fabricating head, exhaust, sump and manifold gaskets for a multitude of classic cars including Bentley, Rolls Royce, Hillman and many others.
Often these types of gaskets are made up of soft materials such as brass or copper, which is very easily damaged in the production process. Fabrication requires precision engineering by skilled technicians to avoid damage which will affect the integrity and lifespan of the seal.
We approach the manufacture of each gasket with the same attention to detail and continually check work against the technical specification and drawings as the manufacture proceeds. The process to make the new Land Rover Gasket involved the following steps:
- The original profile is used to create a CAD drawing
- The CAD drawing is used to create an exact cutting form
- Individual rectangular blanks are created from the brass sheeting
- The blanks are cut using a hydraulic press and the cutting form to create the cylinder head shape.
- Reinforcement rings for the gasket are manufactured, with the ring material first annealed to make it easier to form in the exact shape
- The gasket sheet and the rings are combined. This process can be done either by machine or by hand depending on the complexity of the gasket
- Each gasket is hand finished using time-honoured techniques such as deburring to ensure the quality of finish and overall accuracy.
We have the capability to manufacture automotive parts from simple to highly complex shapes. Our machining facilities include laser, water jet and CNC machining, cutting, routing, turning, drilling and milling. Our experienced engineers and CAD technology allow us to precision engineer components to existing samples or drawings and in a range of material types. For more information, please get in touch.